Re: the Glass Harmonica!

Eric -- how the heck do you know all this stuff??? You SCARE me!

I don't mean to be scary, but in all fairness, I once seriously considered a career in musicology. Since I was a kid, music history has always fascinated me. I have an enormous CD collection and I have read all of the liner notes with each CD. I have the complete 180 CD set of the Phillips Complete Mozart Edition from 1991. I have actually listened to each CD in the set. I also have the Deutsche Grammophon Complete Beethoven Edition. I am working on the Teldec Complete Bach Edition, but decided to save for a house instead, so completion of this set will have to wait awhile. Bach, Mozart, Beethoven, Bruckner and Mahler are my absolute favorites as composers go, so I've read quite a bit about their lives and the histories of their compositions. When I was in college, a few years back, I wrote some lengthy papers for a couple of the music appreciation classes that I took between all of the chemistry classes. The subjects were on Beethoven and also the history of the symphony. Additionally I did an amateur job re-editing the catalog of Mozart's works for an independent study credit. This catalog has gotten quite out of date and as it is presently quite difficult to use some of the works actually have three KV numbers. My music professor used my catalog for his work. Believe it or not I did all of this and still managed to have an outside life.

Okay, I have those other composers' Glass Harmonica pieces. The sound of the GH is so lovely and haunting that I always play the whole CDs, so I'm familiar with all these pieces.

In the most respectful vein that I can muster, I disagree -- the Mozart is by far the best. Gimmick or not, sick and broke or not, I think he authentically loved the sound that came from this astonishing instrument. None of the other pieces are compositionally distinctive or talented, IMHO.

I am glad you enjoy the Mozart GH works. I like them too, perhaps I wasn't clear in my meaning, I simply find other Mozart more compelling than these works. I also don't hold the other composers on the CD to a "Mozart" standard. So perhaps I am not judging them all by the same criteria. I expect more from Mozart than the other composers. Everyone has different tastes, for example I love the music of Mahler and identify strongly with Mahler the man, but Glenn Gould had quite a different opinion of him. On the one hand he wrote that Mahler was a monster because he felt that Mahler was too ambitious in his pursuit of the directorship of the Vienna State Opera. In the essay / article I am thinking about, Gould quotes Mahler as wishing that the current occupant of the position would die so he could have the job for himself. One day I shall have to find time to get some context for that quote, but that's another matter. It's also interesting that Gould would choose to conduct Mahler when given the opportunity. But Gould like so many of us was full of contradictions......

Is this the CD you're referring to? This is a real treat, everybody get it:

Music for Glass Harmonica

Bruno Hoffmann, Glass Harmonica

Vox Unique VU 9008

Yep, that's the CD and I got it about a year ago from Amazon.com for about 5 bucks. A real steal IMHO.

Where can I get the recording for the mechanical organ??? I'd love to hear that! Your description convinces me I can't live without it for much longer.

My recording is part of the Complete Mozart Edition by Phillips. IIRC it is performed by Daniel Chorzempa by hand on a church organ somewhere. I don't know if this recording is available separately. Since the piece was conceived for a mechanical organ Mozart didn't worry too much about the limitations of the human body and as I understand it this work, as written, is unplayable on a conventional organ. My guess, although the liner notes don't say for sure, is that the work was "adjusted" to make it playable on a conventional organ or they did a little bit of overdubbing to get in all of the parts. Sort of like Glenn Gould did in his transcription of the prelude to "Die Meistersinger". I also seem to remember a recording done by a pair of duo pianists on the Deutsche Grammophon label. However, I can't recall who the performers are. Beethoven also wrote for the mechanical clock / organ, but IMHO they are not in the same league as the Mozart works. I would check the internet at Tower, Amazon (both in Europe and the US) and HMV Japan. Someone somewhere must have recorded this work for a stand alone album.

Do any of the original mechanical organs or clocks still exist in Europe (or Japan)?

I suspect that these are about as rare as the glass harmonica itself, although I have no information to support that statement. It is mere conjecture on my part.

Was I right about the lead toxicity problem with the GH? About five years ago, Linda Ronstadt, of all people, stumbled on the GH, was entranced by it, found one of the few remaining thrill-seeking soloists, and recorded a Hispanic-flavored CD with GH tracks. I've never heard it, just read an interview with her about her passion for it.

I've never heard this story. So I can't comment.

Eric, whenever you post, you make me feel like I live in a trailer off Route 221, I have empty Budweiser cans on the floor, and my socks have holes in them and don't match.

I would never want you to feel like that. I've been studying music since I encountered Glenn Gould on the phonograph at age 4. It has been my singular earthly passion. I discovered, somewhere in high school that I had no desire to become a professional musician, actually for much the same reasons as Glenn Gould. Besides when I really knew that I would never be as good a pianist as Glenn Gould, I tried my hand at conducting, which I really loved, and still do, unfortunately the only job I would have really wanted as a conductor was taken at the time by Herbert von Karajan, and after he died, I was already a chemist. Such is life. By the way your comment isn't too far from the truth, most of my family are West Virginia residents and you have described one of my Uncle's residences and lifestyle perfectly, except that he lives off of route 1.  I thought this remark was clever and I am not offended in anyway, but you aren't too far from the truth in this case.

Best Regards,

Eric Cline
Sr. R & D Chemist
Graphic Arts Synthesis Group
Reichhold, Inc.
Global Coating and Performance Resins
Phone Toll Free: 1-800-448-3482 ext.8116
e-mail: eric.cline@reichhold.com
http://www.reichhold.com
(Click here to go to the Reichhold home page)

Eric -- how the heck do you know all this stuff??? You SCARE me!

Okay, I have those other composers' Glass Harmonica pieces. The sound of the GH is so lovely and haunting that I always play the whole CDs, so I'm familiar with all these pieces.

In the most respectful vein that I can muster, I disagree -- the Mozart is by far the best. Gimmick or not, sick and broke or not, I think he authentically loved the sound that came from this astonishing instrument. None of the other pieces are compositionally distinctive or talented, IMHO.

Is this the CD you're referring to? This is a real treat, everybody get it:

Music for Glass Harmonica

Bruno Hoffmann, Glass Harmonica

Vox Unique VU 9008

Mozart

Adagio and Rondo in C minor, K. 617 for GH, Flute, Oboe, Viola and Cello

Adagio in C major, K. 617a for GH

Johann Friedrich Reichardt

Rondo in B-flat major for GH, String Quartet and Double Bass

Karl Leopold Rollig

Quintet in C minor for GH and String Quartet

Johann Abraham Peter Schulz

Largo in C minor for GH

Johann Gottlieb Naumann

Quartet in C major for GH, Flute, Viola and Cello

Where can I get the recording for the mechanical organ??? I'd love to hear that! Your description convinces me I can't live without it for much longer. Do any of the original mechanical organs or clocks still exist in Europe (or Japan)?

Was I right about the lead toxicity problem with the GH? About five years ago, Linda Ronstadt, of all people, stumbled on the GH, was entranced by it, found one of the few remaining thrill-seeking soloists, and recorded a Hispanic-flavored CD with GH tracks. I've never heard it, just read an interview with her about her passion for it.

My Philadelphia cousins tell me that there's a GH on display at the Big Museum (Franklin Institute?), and that it actually gets played once in a blue moon. I think this would be a good instrument to teach to young punk and thrash-grunge musicians, they would appreciate its Living on the Edge / Flirtation with Death and Madness qualities.

The GH's principal is familiar to anyone who ever ran a wet thumb around the rim of a crystal glass with water in it; and of course changing the volume of water changes (to precision) the pitch of the ensuing tone. At a fancy hotel bar mitzvah reception, me and a dozen other 13-year-old boys once put on a spontaneous thumb-and-crystal concert, until the Maitre d' came over and threatened to kill us with his bare hands. The notes from wet-finger crystal are incredibly penetrating (pleasantly, if you're Mozart) and far-travelling. The GH itself consists of a pedal-rotated main horizontal cylinder of crystal glass blown with cylindrical bulges at right angles to the main cylinder, which produce the precise notes of the scale when wet fingers are touched to the rims.

Eric, whenever you post, you make me feel like I live in a trailer off Route 221, I have empty Budweiser cans on the floor, and my socks have holes in them and don't match.

Bob / Elmer