the Glass Harmonica!

Eric -- how the heck do you know all this stuff??? You SCARE me!

Okay, I have those other composers' Glass Harmonica pieces. The sound of the GH is so lovely and haunting that I always play the whole CDs, so I'm familiar with all these pieces.

In the most respectful vein that I can muster, I disagree -- the Mozart is by far the best. Gimmick or not, sick and broke or not, I think he authentically loved the sound that came from this astonishing instrument. None of the other pieces are compositionally distinctive or talented, IMHO.

Is this the CD you're referring to? This is a real treat, everybody get it:

Music for Glass Harmonica
Bruno Hoffmann, Glass Harmonica
Vox Unique VU 9008

Mozart
Adagio and Rondo in C minor, K. 617 for GH, Flute, Oboe, Viola and Cello
Adagio in C major, K. 617a for GH

Johann Friedrich Reichardt
Rondo in B-flat major for GH, String Quartet and Double Bass

Karl Leopold Rollig
Quintet in C minor for GH and String Quartet

Johann Abraham Peter Schulz
Largo in C minor for GH
Johann Gottlieb Naumann
Quartet in C major for GH, Flute, Viola and Cello

Where can I get the recording for the mechanical organ??? I'd love to hear that! Your description convinces me I can't live without it for much longer. Do any of the original mechanical organs or clocks still exist in Europe (or Japan)?

Was I right about the lead toxicity problem with the GH? About five years ago, Linda Ronstadt, of all people, stumbled on the GH, was entranced by it, found one of the few remaining thrill-seeking soloists, and recorded a Hispanic-flavored CD with GH tracks. I've never heard it, just read an interview with her about her passion for it.

My Philadelphia cousins tell me that there's a GH on display at the Big Museum (Franklin Institute?), and that it actually gets played once in a blue moon. I think this would be a good instrument to teach to young punk and thrash-grunge musicians, they would appreciate its Living on the Edge / Flirtation with Death and Madness qualities.

The GH's principal is familiar to anyone who ever ran a wet thumb around the rim of a crystal glass with water in it; and of course changing the volume of water changes (to precision) the pitch of the ensuing tone. At a fancy hotel bar mitzvah reception, me and a dozen other 13-year-old boys once put on a spontaneous thumb-and-crystal concert, until the Maitre d' came over and threatened to kill us with his bare hands. The notes from wet-finger crystal are incredibly penetrating (pleasantly, if you're Mozart) and far-travelling. The GH itself consists of a pedal-rotated main horizontal cylinder of crystal glass blown with cylindrical bulges at right angles to the main cylinder, which produce the precise notes of the scale when wet fingers are touched to the rims.

Eric, whenever you post, you make me feel like I live in a trailer off Route 221, I have empty Budweiser cans on the floor, and my socks have holes in them and don't match.

Bob / Elmer