Re: Aria and reprise

Greetings to all posters and lurkers.  I only
discovered this wonderful meeting place for all things
Gouldian.  And a happier Canuck you could not find.
Very happy to be amongst others who loved this great
man.  I look forward to looking through the long lists
of posts (when I have time) and I'll pop a few
comments in from time to time.

I am a pianist, trained at the conservatory and have
loved Gould's interpretations since I first discovered
his Bach.  I'm 47 now, so this goes back a few years
already.  He was and still is played a great deal on
the CBC radio here in Canada.  As much as I admire him
as a genius on the ivories, I think he even excelled
himself as a creator of fabulous radio documentaries.
To date I have not heard of anyone else replicating
what he accomplished with the way he edited and mixed
the voices together or in the way he found fresh light
to shine on old ideas.  For me, Gould was iconoclastic
in the most positive way: he had to be and we are all
the better for it.

In closing for now, let me remind those who do not
know this factoid: on the satellite, I believe it is
Voyager, that was sent into deep space in the 1970's
(?) there is a plack that has our earthly hello on it.
 There is also a replication of sounds from earth.  On
this record (don't know what format it is), an alien
race, somewhere in the infinite future, will one day
play it and hear Gould play his beloved Bach.  Isn't
that a wonderful thing to carry with us?  I think
Glenn would be happy, having left the earth.....

Kind regards,

Fred Houpt

--- Juozas Rimas <JuozasRimas@TAKAS.LT> wrote:
> Thanks for the description, Marcos!