Re: Bob's Stupid Musical Question

Title: Re: Bob's Stupid Musical Question

 Good afternoon

  Firstly I'd like to thank Bob and John et al for this thread, which i am finding very interesting

Me too.

I prefer music that is not about anything.  I rarely listen to vocal music.  If you were to say to me "The Symphony Orchestra is playing a war symphony on Wednesday and a Bach Orchestral Suite on Thursday, when are you free?" I'd be free on Thursday.

Perhaps a quote on Debussy is not quite right on a list devoted to Glenn Gould fans, but this struck me as appropriate to the thread:

"A distinguishing feature in Debussy's preludes is that he placed the title of each at the end of the composition, signifying the importance of the music rather than the picture implied by the title."
Page 230 "Celebration Series, The Piano Odyssey - Handbook for Teachers."

Anne Smith