Re: Bob's Stupid Musical Question

>The short answer is: Instrumental music is often "about something." And
usually, only the music can explain
>what it's about, and only the heart and mind can understand what the composer
meant it to be about.

Well, I used a more literal approach here. By music "about something" I meant,
basically, music telling a story. Your Barber's example must be something of
this kind: music about war. To me, even a meaningful title is enough to make
music, instrumental or not, to be about something.

In fact, I'm happy that most Bach's pieces have meaningless names. English
suites! What a great pointless name that, in addition, wasn't given by the
composer himself.
I learned to regard texts and titles of Bach's vocal works as bearing no
specific meaning as well (or, more precisely, the only meaning of "praise God").
This abstract idea appeals to me because I'm not forced to imagine anything
particular. I did translate the Matthaeus-Passion for myself but I didn't find
that anything changed radically afterwards (it was more interesting to listen to
the evangelist parts and that's about it).

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)