Re: Bob's Stupid Musical Question

This work, Op. 19 was really Beethoven's earliest serious attempt at a piano concerto. There is an earlier work in E-flat major, written when Beethoven was 14 or so in Bonn, but it is clearly the work of a talented student. Beethoven's C major concerto Op.15 actually post dates Op.19 by several years.

I know that Beethoven told his publisher that Op.19 was "not my best work" and offered it to them at a discount. I also know that he revised the work substantially from its earlier version.

However, IIRC the earlier version is now lost. Beethoven may also have been working on an alternate finale which has been published as the Rondo in B-flat for piano and orchestra. The Rondo was not completed by Beethoven, but by Carl Czerny. I agree that Op.19 is not his best work, but it is still far superior to that of his contemporaries (except of course Mozart).

Regards,

Eric Cline
Sr. R & D Chemist
Graphic Arts Synthesis Group
Reichhold, Inc.
Global Coating and Performance Resins
Phone Toll Free: 1-800-448-3482 ext.8116
e-mail: eric.cline@reichhold.com
http://www.reichhold.com
(Click here to go to the Reichhold home page)