Re: GG: First symphonies, now classical radio

As a child

Mother sang Schubert songs, played piano; Dad played violin, clarinet, and
piano quite well.   They played the usual stuff on our "GE" record player
(circa 1960): Brahms, Mozart, Beethoven symphonies, piano and violin
concerti.

Also, I grew up in the days when CBC radio morning news was accompanied by
Brahms 1 symphony, last movement, I think.   Who, here, is old enough to
remember that!

At about 8 years of age I became addicted to an Arthur Rubinstein, Dimitri
Mitropoulos recording of Tchiakovsky pc 1.   Then I thought it was greatest
music ever written.  It was on a set of 78s.  When, inevitably, I broke one
by accident I was beyond myself.   My parents bought me a later Rubinstein
recording of the Tchiakovsky, then Richter with Ancerl, but nothing seemed
as good to me.   Only last year did I find it, amazingly on CD!!!  I was
right, BTW; it's still the best.

Gould, Arrau, and Richter were my heros at 12, and aside from discovering
Bach choral music, Feinburg's WTK, and a few other tasty treats, not much
has really changed for me.

J.A.L. Grant
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/42/john_lewis_grant.html
WTC 1 part 1: