Re: They all gotta be winners

You are quite right about competitions, Anne.   It's not like the Bar exams
or other professional entrance requirements, where the issue is to maintain
(or at least appear to maintain) a minimum standard of competence presumably
to protect the public.   I suppose the purpose is quasi-academic, as a kind
of academic/aesthetic rating system.   But I'm not convinced musical ability
is "objectively" measurable in the sense in which such rating systems or
meritocracies in general are said to be in non-arts fields.   The piano
competition is definitely more of a gladiator thing.

Oh, and by the way, a non-Torontian has compelled me to correct myself on
the sculpture/statue of Gould.   I was going to say that I've never actually
SEEN the sculpture up by the old music library, which I drive by almost
every day!  I just assumed that's where it was!   In fact, I'm told it's by
the new CBC studio.   Now I'm really going to have to make an effort to see
it!

John G.

J.A.L. Grant
Barrister & Solicitor