Re: GG: Super Audio CD, CDs

>I've been DYING to hear GG on a super audio CD.  I'm very very interested
>to hear what Philips' latest format sounds like-- remember when CDs were
>the latest audio gimmick.

Actually it would be quite interesting to compare, say, the LP, CD and
'new-CD' version of the same record. From my recent listening experiences
(during which I also had the opportunity to compare the same recording on
LP vs CD) I was impressed how good music can sound on good (and
unfortunately expensive) Hifi-equipment. Although there was and audible
difference between the LP and the CD, this was very small and I couldn't
say that I prefer one of them. Now it would be interesting how HDCD (or
whatever the abbreviation is) compares.

Unfortunately it is quite hard to find someone who owns all the necessary
machines in a reasonable quality within a reasonable travelling distance.

> Anyway- I'm not exactly sure how the
>multi-channel system works and what it does to legacy recordings.  Does
>it have a surround-sound effect w/surround-sound speakers? Can an
>audiophile who's heard the goods tell us in great detail??? What is a 5.1
>system?

When I went shopping for a new Hifi, I was told that most 'surround' or
'5.1' systems are aimed at home-cinema use, so they often sound much
worse when playing music than a traditional stereo system of the same
price or even less. And somehow that sounds logical to me, as for a
traditional stereo you'll only need two amplifiers, while for a surround
system you need 5 or 6 plus a lot of fancy electronics, so in the
traditional stereo amplifier each component should be much better if
they're both the same price.

Apart from the technical aspect, I can't really see how having 'surround'
sound improves your listening to music. At least my idea of music is that
it is performed in front of me, so there's no need for 'back' speakers
and stereo should be enough. And for piano-only pieces, I suppose even
mono would do. For watching films or playing games, however, I can imagin
more speakers giving a more realistic illusion.

>There is an interesting legend about how Herbert von Karajan insisted that
>CDs be 12 cm so they would be able to store enough information to play
>Beethoven's 9th in full.

That's quite sweet! In fact I think not having to turn over that often
(and being generally more foolproof) is one of the big advantages of CDs.
But then, at least in pop music, I have the impression that many bands
feel obliged to actually fill all of the CD - and often 35 minute CDs are
much better than 65 minute ones.

>Anyway-- what compositions would sound good or interesting if fully
>expored in super audio?  If GG were recording for the medium what would he
>record?  Would we have another Goldberg Variations? What would he do with
>the radio programs if he had access to this format?

Very interesting questions! I'd be interested to hear the differences. I
guess the radio programmes could be more exciting when especially made
for multiple channels.

Cheers

            Sven

--