SACD - DVD Audio.

HI:
I still didn't listen to any Gould recording on SACD (Super Audio Compact
Disc) nor on it's commercial counterpart, the DVD Audio format.
Eventually, the differences between formats are REALLY unnoticeable, since
they provide virtually equal sound quality, at least in terms of technical
specifications.
However, from scratch it must be said that DVD Audio is NOT just a DVD with
no pictures. Although you can play a DVD Audio disc on DVD Video players,
without the proper decodification, the extra sound information contained in
the DVD Audio discs just won't come out of your speakers, simply because it
is not decoded.
It is the same thing that happens with HDCD remasters (High Definition
Compatible Digital). It is compatible with prior CD standards, so you can
play the HDCD disc on regular CD players, but the extra info is simply
ignored by regular players, and read and decoded only by players with HDCD
decoders.
I didn't listen to SACD, but I guess that it is not an experience far away
from the one you get listening to DVD Audio recordings, which I happen to
listen to, on a DVD Audio player, of course.
If I have to define it, it is the warmth of good old LPs, with the crystal
clear precision and rich detail of the digital domain.
It's been said among many audiophiles that digital technology claimed a high
price for it's advantages: harmonics, sound envelopes, and those thick, rich
basses were gone.
Velvet turned into silk. Nice, but less "cozzy".
Now, with more room to store information, DVD Audio (and SACD) don't need to
cut out what initially were considered "inaudible" frequency ranges, and a
disc can carry much, much more information, with a drastical reduce in the
compromise of sound that's been CD's major drawback.
This increase in storage capacity can be used in two different ways:
a) to store more than the usual stereo two channels.
b) to make those traditional two channels sound DRAMATICALLY better that
ever before.
In my humble opinion, the second choice is the most impressive.
5.1 systems are systems that can handle more than two audio channels.
In is extremely common in movies. Dolby Digital 5.1 is a standard that,
instead of two channels (let and right) can decode, and reproduce five
channels of different audio signals, plus a dedicated channel just for VERY
low frequency signals.
So a 5.1 system is a system that can read, decode and reproduce up to six
independent audio channels, namely: front left, front right, center (it is
placed between the "front" ones), rear left, rear right, and the low
frequency singals, that are reproduced by special speakers known as
subwoofers (those ugly, unfashionable big black cubes). So with this
systems, if the recording comes with 5.1 encoded channels, the listener is
literally wrapped by the sound, and different sounds come from different
places of the room, just like in a movie theater.
I)n my opinion, this spectacular effect is not very realistic, unless you
want to reproduce the sensations of one of the performers, that ARE in the
orchestra.
I think that in real life, most of us happen to be listeners, so being
"surrounded" by the different instruments is just a incorrect scheme. Of
course the effect is undoubtly spectacular, but not necesarily precise, or
true.
Even more. The recordings I heard on 5.1 seemed to me more "fireworks" or
"see-my-new-toy" products than musically oriented recordings.
To me, it is far more impressive the performance of Enhanced Stereo
recordings. In this mode, you get just the usual two stereo channels, BUT,
the extra storage capacity is used to hold tons of detailed sound
information, radically more precise translations of the original master
recordings (if they are preexisting).
This leads to unprecedent frequency response, dynamic range and clarity,
with all the subtleties and "body" that LP had.
The result is an extremely high definition in terms of musical space, with
each instrument clearly defined (you NEVER get that "sound ball" sensation
that sometimes CD give). The musical scene is presented with really
impressive detail and precision.
I even dare to say that the quality of Enhanced Stereo is so high, that with
a solid pair of speakers and an amplifier that makes justice to the DVD
Audio (or SACD) machines, you won't miss a bit of the extra speakers that
5.1 needs.
Regards,
Pablo