GG: Super Audio CD, CDs

Sorry-- I lost the ref from whom I'm <snipping>

> >Try the second Goldberg, it sounds amazing on 5.1 systems, as well try any
> >of the super audio CD recordings; there are three for Gould.

I've been DYING to hear GG on a super audio CD.  I'm very very interested
to hear what Philips' latest format sounds like-- remember when CDs were
the latest audio gimmick.  Anyway- I'm not exactly sure how the
multi-channel system works and what it does to legacy recordings.  Does
it have a surround-sound effect w/surround-sound speakers? Can an
audiophile who's heard the goods tell us in great detail??? What is a 5.1
system?

There is an interesting legend about how Herbert von Karajan insisted that
CDs be 12 cm so they would be able to store enough information to play
Beethoven's 9th in full.  Sony's former president Morita told this story
and he also said his wife came up with the idea.  Sony (on their Japanese
web site) says it was the current president's idea and that Karajan gave
some of the only positive feedback about their digital recorder in the
late 70's and encouraged Sony's nearly crestfallen engineers!

Anyway-- what compositions would sound good or interesting if fully
expored in super audio?  If GG were recording for the medium what would he
record?  Would we have another Goldberg Variations? What would he do with
the radio programs if he had access to this format?

-Mary Jo Watts
mwatts@rci.rutgers.edu
listowner, f_minor