Re: hedonism & Mozart

>He don't like the hedonistic aspect of Mozart.

I'm only starting listening to Mozart but I can find anything but hedonism in
the music. Even if you hear an apparently cheerful tune, just wait and, if you
want, you'll notice sorrow in the next note.

I haven't heard another composer who had joyful and sad emotions mixed so
tightly. Mozart seems to be a bit schizophrenic to me: one moment crying, then
laughing, crying, laughing and so on.

Another unique quality of Mozart is his unexplainably meaningful minimalism. I'm
listening to KV475 Fantasia right now and this is a fricking exercise for one
finger compared to certain Bach's fugues but those scarce notes are just as
powerful.

>Did Glenn Gould dislike Mozart? I'll say it again: Listen to the Hum when he
plays Mozart. He's in rapture, >transport, ecstacy!

Didn't he (or some witness) say that he needed to hum to play at all? It seems
to be an almost subconscious behavior, a kind of reflex: playing ---> humming
:))

Anyway, I'm inclined to think GG was pulling our legs with his lived-too-long
babble about Mozart, kind of "you think I'm weird that I'm humming and wear
scarfs in summer, huh? wanna more? here you go: Mozart is a mediocre composer!"
and then looking for response :)

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)