Gould as "teacher"?

     I agree wholeheartedly Leah.  I think Gould was certainly a quirky,
outgoing person.  He was both extroverted and introverted, as he was a very
complex man.  Gould, as I've said before, defies categorisation, as every
humanbeing truly does, but in Gould's case it is easily recognizable.
Anyways, I think he was an excellent "teacher".  Whatever 'teacher' means.
No, he didn't sit down in a room and charge students by the hour to teach
them "how to play piano".  His teaching was in his music, his writing, his
speaking etc.  For an excellent example of Gould as "Teacher".  Check out
the "Glenn Gould Collection: The Question of Instrument", where he discusses
many important questions with Bruno Monsaigneon at the piano.

      For me, Gould has been my only real teacher over the past couple
years that I have been playing piano.  And our classes had nothing to do
with playing style, technique or interpretation.  They were simply
"discussions" about what music is, that one should approach music with his
or her own, internal values, that one should answer to nobody but
themselves, that one shouldnt give a damn what anyone else happens to think,
(except when they complement you :) ), that music is primarily a mental
phenomenon and that it only takes on real meaning on a conceptual level deep
within one's mind, heart, and soul.

Later,

Thomas