Re: P.S. re GG

Title: Re: P.S. re GG

  Jacqueline London wrote:

To anyone: are the first Goldberg Variations still available on sale?  I tried to buy a CD but could not find one, only of the later performance which I already have.

Yes, the '55 Goldbergs are evidently still available,  in Sony's Glenn Gould edition, catalogue number SMK 52594. Amazon.com have it at $11.00  ("Usually ships within 24 hours") and for any Brits who want it, Amazon UK also offers it at £8.99, but they say it is "currently on order" and there may be a delay of 1-2 weeks before you receive it. (Heaven knows how  accurate  that estimate is; Santa ordered me Glenn"s Wagner CD well before Christmas, but we are still waiting hopefully....!)
Amazon's listings can be a bit confusing if there is more than one version of a particular work. I didn't see that they  actually specify  anywhere in their short  descriptions   whether the CD  in question is the "55 or the "81 version

But  do listen also to the version from the 1959 Salzberg recital....marvellous, spontaneous, breathtaking. Apparently this is now available on  a CD separately  from the rest of the recital; I didnt relise that; but then, I for one wouldnt want to miss the other items he played on that occasion. The whole recital is of course available from Sony.

Kate