Gould, Sentiment and Chopin

Title: F_MINOR Digest - 21 Jan 2002 to 23 Jan 2002 (#2002-14)
Fascinating contributions to the list on this thread from all four of you!  Thank you!

I happen to be one who enjoys and knows both Gould's Bach and various classic recordings of Chopin (Rubinstein, Perahia, Pollini, Sokolov, Richter, Lipatti) intimately well.  I have never thought of comapring the two, but in an effort to identify with Gould's reluctance towards Chopin, here goes...

First, Chopin's keyboard music is entirely different from Bach's and that much is obvious. Bach is a brilliant study in counterpoint with melody taking a secondary role, as in a fugue. Chopin is a brilliant study in melody with counterpoint (or perhaps syncopated rhythms, like 3-on-2 or 8-on-3 in the F-minor ballad, for example) taking a secondary role.

Next, Chopin was inherently a romantic composer through and through.  His music is rife with "zal" -- the Polish word for nostalgia.  It appears either as a fist-shaking lament of what was going on in Poland at the time (Etude Op.25 No. 11), or a wistful, poignant memory of a moment of folk life in the Polish countryside (Mazurka in A-minor, Op. 17, No.4).

Now Gould was an inherently romantic _performer_.   To me, his appeal lies in his uncanny ability to embellish Baroque music with romantic character.

And here comes the punch line, which is my theory:  Gould was passionate for imbibing the music he played with romanticism, and confronted with Chopin's innate, prevalent and dominating romanticism, Gould found that he had nothing to add and simply left it aside.  (Whether he did this vehemently one can only speculate....)

Comments?

Matthew