Re: Behind the scenes?

Juozas Rimas wrote:

?

> I'd like to ask some questions about Gould "behind the scenes" ...

Many of the answers to these questions are addressed in Andy Kazdin's book "Glenn Gould At Work: Creative Lying" (New York: Dutton, 1989; out of print).? Kazdin was GG's producer on more than 40 albums, so his insight on Gould's recording process is not to be ignored.? However, those who wish to read the book be forewarned: Kazdin's recollections, while offering an intimate view of GG's working methods, are tinged with a great deal of resentment, and his observations can range from the glowingly laudatory (Glenn Gould "possessed the most prodigious intellect with which I had ever come into contact.") to the sophomorically tabloid ("Glenn never saw any reason to celebrate the holiday season, and the most I ever received from him at this time of year was a Christmas card.")? The Kazdin book is indispensable for a first-hand view of GG in the studio, but most of his anecdotes must be taken with a grain of salt.? The ultimate question is: How badly do we really want to meet our heroes?

> How many attempts did it usually take for GG to make a recording of a piece? Was

> he as skillful and stable as to play once and approve the recording right away?

As Kazdin notes, "His recording sessions became publicized as kind of laboratory experiments wherein Frankenstein monsters were assembled from scraps of carnage; they weren't."? The "recording process was so simple as to be boring to the outside observer:

1. Record a complete take of the movement (or, in the case of longer works, a large section of the piece.)

2. Listen to it and carefully note any finger slips and musical balances that were not perfect.

Just what would constitute a perfect take was up to debate.? As little as one performance or dozens were needed, depending on the situation. The least likely reason to disqualify a take was a "finger slip", or mistake.? These could, and were, easily corrected.? A more likely reason to disqualify a take would be for purely interpretive reasons, i.e. articulation, phrasing, dynamics, intonation, tempo, mood, et cetera.? Kazdin says that "generally speaking, with Bach works, the basic take would be recorded very quickly, for it seemed that Gould had a more stable notion of exactly how a Bach piece was going to go before he even started to play.? Mozart sonatas and Beethoven slow movements apparently possessed an elusive quality (as far as the interpretation Gould desired was concerned) that sometimes led to copious run-throughs surmounted by the ever-present threat that none of them would qualify at all."? Kazdin also says, in his experience, that of the remainder of Gould's repertoire "there did not seem to be any basic interpretive problem."?

Anne Smith wrote that Gould liked to experiment with microphone placement but, with the exception of his Sibelius recordings, Kazdin says that microphone placement was, especially during his Toronto recordings, so strictly adhered to that "it was possible to record a new insert to fix a blemish heard in a tape made years earlier and have the splice match perfectly."

?

As to the approval of a certain piece, this was a much more prolonged process, and was ultimately the genius of Gould's creative recorded legacy. Gould often would record divergent interpretations of pieces that would only take shape during editing.? Gould liked to make final interpretive decisions weeks, if not months, after the recording session.? Kazdin says (p. 63) "when it came to tape splicing, he undoubtedly understood it as well as a professional editor."? One good example of GG's creative splicing was his article "The Prospects of Recording" whereby the A minor fugue from WTC:1 was recorded with two divergent interpretations but, when spliced together, created a wholly new interpretation not envisioned during the recording session.? This is not to suggest that any particular performance was flawed, nor that he couldn't record a piece "straight through."? On the contrary, as Samuel Carter, producer of the '81 Goldberg's states, "He had as many one-takers as anybody, and damn near any take he made would have stood on its own."? Gould's quest to achieve an artistically honest performance was guided by many factors, but ultimately whether or not he played the piece from beginning to end had little bearing on its final outcome.

> Did he use score while recording?

GG always played a piece without the printed score (Kazdin, p. 7).? While he did play from memory, that does not mean that a score was not available for reference, just that GG did not look at the page while recording.

> Did he use score while performing in concerts?

As far as can be ascertained, Gould always played from memory. See John P.L. Roberts recollections in "Glenn Gould: Variations" (Ed. McGreevy: Toronto: Doubleday, 1983) for GG's remarkable ability to play any piece of music at tempo upon request.

> Did he record all parts in a partita or all goldberg variations "at one gulp" or

> are they glued together from various recordings? (the latter is true about WTCs,

> as far as I know)

This depends on your definition of "various recordings".? As for the smaller scale works such as the Partitas or the suites, each one was recorded in a fairly short period of time, with Kazdin confirming that most were usually over the course of two days.? The original Goldberg's were recorded between June and July 1955, but the number of recording sessions is not stated. As for the Well Tempered Clavier, each book was released, if I remember correctly, on three albums, so it would stand to reason that at three recording sessions (at least six days) were necessary to complete each book of the WTC.

> Are there any not intended mistakes in his recordings? (I heard he sometimes

> changed notes in the score on purpose but I'm interested about his simply

> wrong notes: due to lack of attention, slipping fingers etc; I'm not a pianist

> and can't hear the mistakes if they exist)

Well, Juozas, can you ask a more difficult question?? Gould diverged MANY times from the original score, but whether these were intentional or not, we just don't know.? I tend to believe that Gould knew the notes, but often chose to ameliorate the score to fit his own interpretive decisions.? Kazdin states that only once, to his knowledge, did Gould record a piece "intentionally distorted", namely the first movement of Mozart Sonata K. 331. But overall, GG believed in his divergent interpretations.? As for the studio recordings, I cannot hear any substantial differences that cannot be sensibly attributed to artistic license.? Interestingly enough, Kazdin relates a lapse of understanding with regard to Italian terminology (a fermata combined with the Italian term "lunga"), but Gould was NOT perfect.

> Did he make any mistakes during concert performances?

Again, Gould was not perfect, and occasionally he flubbed notes (this is based on my observations of his recorded concert performances.)? These mistakes are few and far between, and for the most part, one remarks upon his "flawless technique".

> How many hours was he said to be playing daily? ("practicing")

Jeez, Juozas, tough questions!? Gould always stated (bragged?) that he played best with NO practicing, preferring to work out his interpretations in his head.? Younger acquaintances of Gould said he practiced a lot, but in his later years GG tended to claim that he went weeks without playing, and upon returning to the keyboard, found that he actually played better.? As a pianist who must constantly keep up my "chops" I find this hard to believe, but Gould was so different, so iconoclastic, that his claims are not beyond the realm of belief.? Glenn was a busy man, and how in the world would he have found time to do all he did if he had been slave to his instrument? We shall never know.

Dominic Lesnar