Re: GG: Bachs Fugue in e-major (878), WTK II

Dear Jorg:

That long play was done in the late 1950's to be more
specific 1957, I do have the bach collection of Glenn
Gould in which they have reproduced the original
covers and recordings of his Lps as they appeared but
in CD's and I believe that was the second Bach disc he
recorded after the goldberg variations. I believe it
must have been the summer of 1957.
Before then as the disc says he only recorded the
goldbergs and a couple of Beethoven sonatas, and this
wonderful disc, in which everything is just so amazing
was recorded not too many years later.
I just remembered when I read GG's interview in "great
pianists speak for themselves" that Glenn said he
recorded both partitas 5 and 6 (and those WW fugues)
in the summer after he cameback from Russia. So now I
am sure it was the summer of 57. And he even said he
wasn't too happy with his performance of the partita
No. 5!!!, now we know he was a perfectionist.
But now you know it was for sure 1957 and it was on
the summer months because when he was still a "concert
pianist" he only had the summer to record.
and he recorded it in New York in the CBS studios.
I hope I have helped you.

Sara.