John Singer Sargent @ Boston MFA

I hereby unilaterally declare the United States of America to have returned to a Peacetime Activity Schedule.

I'm not saying we should all stop being Freaked Out. But I do feel we should all pause for a moment and take a few deep breaths and think about taking our first long shower of music and beauty and joy and life.

So ... all those within some possible nearness to Boston ...

The Museum of Fine Arts is nearing the end of a huge joint exhibition with London's Tate Gallery of the paintings of John Singer Sargent. Naturally everyone on these lists is an expert on his work, so there's no reason to put on my Sister Wendy costume and bore you. (But I will if it would amuse you. Perhaps I'll go to a Halloween party as Sister Wendy.)

The official closing date of the MFA Sargent exhibit is Wednesday 26 September. Sorry about the short notice, but I am like a total yutz about these things and just found out today. I can't get an MFA human to answer the phone this morning, but there's a chance the Catastrophe has stretched the closing date (a recorded announcement says they've declared Free Admission through the end of September).

I think I'm a-gonna go. The MFA always has a whole Sargent wing, but this exhibit will be a once-in-a-lifetime extra-special thang. And I think all our central nervous systems could stand a little of this kind of thing.

Anybody else can play hooky and get to Boston for a day trip? Don't make me enjoy this ethereal, timeless, sublime beauty alone. It's my intention to wind the day up with dinner at Durgin Park.

Yours,

Bob Merkin / Elmer Elevator / Droog4 / Ming the Merciless

Boston Museum of Fine Arts: 617-267-9300