Re: Best wishes to all Americans

Hello to everyone-- so many of you I have known through the internet and
in fortunate real life meetings for many years.

Rutgers University where I work (and the org that hosts f_minor) is 33
miles from mid-town Manhattan-- roughly 28 miles from where the twin
towers used to stand. Essentially, I live in an urban suburb of NYC. I
always knew to get my bags together on the train the minute we'd come
around the bend on the Northeast Corridor line because there the towers
would be.  I can't explain what the city looks like without them-- the
pictures at night on the news-- our whole world has changed! So many
people are having such different reactions.  I think for most of the
people I know it hasn't sunk in. The amount of human lives that have been
lost in New York, D.C., Pennsylvania tonight...is incomprehensible.
Reports from friends who made it home from the towers have left me, in my
relative comfort just a few miles away, so concerned for them and the
massive trauma they have endured and stunned at what lies ahead for the
loved-ones of those who are missing. But I think most Americans will tell
you-- no matter what our political inclinations-- we won't be terrorized
and I want to thank everyone for their well wishes in this difficult,
stunning time.

I think I'll put on Verdi's Requiem-- my own personal music of mourning.
Does anyone have any suggestions for good 'dark night of the soul'
music? Perhaps Brahms?

Best,

Mary Jo Watts,
mwatts@rci.rutgers.edu