life. [mailto:F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU]On Behalf Of Lawrence T.
McDonnell
Sent: Tuesday, September 11, 2001 1:37 PM
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
Subject: Re: Best wishes to all Americans

Here in Taiwan we are all awake tonight staring at the television in
disbelief, shifting each moment between prayer and unspeakable anger.

This night will end, thank God, and tomorrow will offer a new beginning.
And
doubtless the first day of a reckoning, in many senses.

Six months ago, President Bush promised to do "whatever it takes" to defend
Taiwan's freedom.  Nobody here forgets that.  Our hearts and prayers and
support in every way go out to the American people.

"There is more day to dawn," Thoreau promised Americans a century and a half
ago; we must take that as comfort on this long, dark night.

Larry McDonnell