GG: Speaking of Robert Fulford

> You are thinking of Robert Fulford, also a noted
> Canadian, who edited the progressive magazine _Saturday
> Night_, and commented on his friendships with
> Gould, McLuhan, and the other great male Torontonian (no,
> no, not Dave Keon!), Northrop Frye.  Apparently nobody
> gave a hoot about Margaret Atwood (a former Frye student)!

In July, in the rain, I saw GG's birthplace on Southwood
Drive. Cute neighborhood, even if it is time to take down
the "bunting."

Does anyone know which house was the one in which Robert
Fulford lived? Did he live in the house to the left of the
Gould house? Or the one to the right (which was really
close)? The house on the right was so close that I could
easily imagine the young GG and RF reeling out that tin can
on a string and trying to speak, and then finally giving up
and shouting to each other.

BTW the topic of Robert Fulford came up on the Copyediting
list serv I belong to recently. I mentioned RF in passing,
and one of the list members shared a wonderful experience
where she sent him an e-mail in response to one of his
recent articles, and he wrote back to her that same day.
I believe his column is available on-line -- I'll look for
it when I get back home.

Anne M. Marble