GG: Fans (and a Eudora Rant Already)

Whoops, I don't think my reply made it to the list. I am already cursing at
the "intuitive" design of Eudora. :-< You click "Reply All," and it doesn't
send it to one of the recipients! Duh!? So I'm sending it from Outlook
Express. So there. Phhhbbbbbt,

At 05:12 PM 8/29/01 -0400, LoveGlenn wrote:
> Well now that's literally psycho. I can't stand fans who get to the point
where
> they invade the privacy of the celebrity. It shows absolutely no love or
respect
> for him/her, it just shows a harmful obsession that can't be controlled.
If I was
> Glenn I would have stayed away from them also, but not have been scared.

>From what I've read in books by former FBI agents and other such experts,
GG might have been right to be scared. The psycho fans who think they're
married to or dating the star are the most dangerous.  John Bardo truly
believed he was a rejected ex-boyfriend of sitcom star Rebecca Schaeffer --
yet the only time they met was when he shot her. Ugh.

> There was another fan letter from a woman found in Glenn's house once. I
guess
> he kept some of the fan mail. It said something along the lines of,
> "Dear Mr. Gould: Please comeplete the following questionnaire and return
to me at
> once, since my future depends entirely upon your answers:
> 1) have you written any  string quartets since your opus 1?
> 2) are you engaged
> 3) are you married?
> 4) if i come to toronto will you permit me to see you.
> Haha, for some reason I dont think she cared as much about the first
question...

Something tells me he preferred those fan letters that said "Your music is
therapeutic." ;->

> Where did you read about those other strange fans?

I think I read about some of them in either Otto Friederich's bio or
Ostwald's bio. Also, Kazdin's (out of print) book mentioned one of them in
great deals. I think I also heard (overheard? <g>) some details at the
Glenn Gould Gathering in Toronto in 1999.