Re: GG: Live

On Wed, 1 Aug 2001 14:05:34 -0400, you wrote:

>        Do you find the "live" perfs to be less willfully idiosyncratic than
>the studio recordings? Do you think that there are significant differences
>between the characteristics of the "live" perfs which GG gave as CBC
>broadcasts, and the "live" perfs which he gave before concert audiences?

I love the live recordings because GG plays in a simpler more natural style -
the idiosyncrasies are there but not so deliberate. Its a very typical Gouldian
contradiction that he played so beautifully in public, and at times sounded like
a different pianist altogther compared to his studio recordings.

Take the Adler Brahms D minor, despite the crazy slow movement, the rest of the
performance is lithe, slick and very virtuosic. Its the closest we have to GG
playing like a Russian. And the marvellous Beethoven 3rd with Karajan - the
cadenza !! Or the intensity of the Mozart #24 with Jochum, not to mention that
orgasmic Bach D minor concerto from Lenningrad (why can't other's play with such
fervour) ! And so the list goes on...

As the Salzburg recital, there are few happier ocassions captured on disc. Who
ever played the lovely C major Mozart sonata which such innocent charm. Its
sheer perfection.

Has anyone heard the CBC Bach 5th partita ? You'd think it were Lipatti playing.

Neil