CD's in Poland

Hello F-minors,

I'm back on the list, after a few weeks of absence, hidden in a room with
the computer for not to be tracked down and taken to all the household mess.
I bring no funny stories on store clerks, only a short and incomplete report
on GG and other classical CD's in Poland. Thanks to the Sony series, GG is
present and usually well exposed (- IF the shop sells classicals at all, and
not only the kind of "the best of..." performed by 3rd cathegory musicians).
What's more, the GG Sony series keeps the price of "radio-mainstream" music,
that is, about 50 - 60 Polish zloty (~12 USD), while good and responsible
classical recordings can be 1,5 - 4 times as much. >>If anyone can see no
reason to buy a GG, this might be one of them... ;-) << please don't kill me
for this poor joke, dear Crazy Gouldians, I am still one of you...
This is based on my Warsaw observations, I expect the situation to be the
same in all the big cities. It's rare to find good classical recordings out
in in smaller towns.
Officially reported average monthly salary in Poland would do for up to 40
legal CD's. As you see, more expensive classicals are a student's dream,
especially annoying when you try to apply the Pokemons slogan: Gotta catch
them all!   (BTW: I hate Pokemons)
Despite the law, many top-list recordings are copied illegally (some in
Poland, but far more beyond our eastern border) and sold on open air markets
and even in smaller shops. GG is not endangered by the garage production,
though classical "best-of's" happen to be. However, they aren't profitable
enough and mostly left alone.
I promised to myself to pay a long visit to a few LP stores, second hand, of
course. I already have a collection on LP, but no Gould! He must be there!
This time I'll have to take a spade along to dig through the heaps faster...
They are cheap and one can find miraculous and never-played discs, as my
choral preludes on 2 LP's.

Greetings,
Przemek Dolowy

--