Re: GG and CD shop clerks

When I was in Toronto five years ago, a trip I made specifically to see
Gould sites, I happened to go into a small music store, made a bee line for
the "Glenn Gould" section and found--to my utter disappointment--that his
name had been spelled incorrectly on the plastic placard that separated his
CDs from the ones before them.  They'd spelled it "Glen".  In Toronto, no
less!  I can't remember the name of the store, and perhaps that's a good
thing (wouldn't want to start a riot).

Bradley, what a funny story. Good for you for hanging in there and fighting
the good fight.  I'm glad you ultimately wound up with such a generous
discount.  I couldn't figure out how your clerks arrived at that final
number either; the only theory I have is that when they were huddling
together they came up with a discount that they knew was incorrect but so
lopsided in your favor that they were certain you'd go away and leave them
to their thumb twiddling.  By the way, I worked behind a counter for many
years, in high school and in college, and I can tell you from personal
experience that there is absolutely no reason to believe that people who
operate cash registers are necessarily good at math.  In fact I worked with
some clerks for many years, and I still never quite figured out WHAT they
were good at. From what I've seen, I'd say it doesn't hurt to go over your
receipt and check...each and every time.

Veronica