Re: Re: The ?GG scholarship ?saga

    I have asked it before but my question was burried during the
    Asperge storm: is there any information about why Gould chose the
    Soviet Union to perform in? Had he any contacts, sentiments?

Funny, but the latest issue of GlennGould just arrived and that is the
exact topic of the first article.  It reproduces a number of
communications from the Dept. of External Affairs, the Canadian embassy
in Moscow, Gould's manager Walter Homburger, and others on the subject
of this tour.

It seems that some Russian artists (Gilels and Oistrakh) had recently
visited Canada, and Homburger approached the DEA about a return
tour by Gould (the '55 GV were just being released).

GG himself was apparently reasonably happy at the prospect of the tour,
but it was arranged by Homburger and the Canadian state department, not
through contacts of his own.

The Glenn Gould Foundation (that publishes GlennGould) is online at
www.glenngould.ca.

Karl