Re: unrecorded keyboard

> >What about, for example, Musical Offering (BWV 1079) the 1st Ricercare? I
> >have a
> >recording of this one on the cembalo and the instrument sounds terribly
> >primitive, sorry.
>
> Primitive in this particular recording?  Who's playing, and what type of
> harpsichord is it?

Ok, I said stronger than I should have said. It could have been by a good
harpsichordist, I don't know, (Davitt Moroney) but I have a quirk of disliking
long pieces on the harpsichord. They tire me... The sound of the instrument
s very straigthforward. Is it possible  to play, say, the 11th sinfonia so
softly on
the harpsichord as Gould does in his 1964 recording?
Maybe the momentum-based works (partly the ricercare in
question) would work better on the harpsichord but I'd still prefer the piano
rendition.

I would also appreciate if you told me which keyboard works, in your opinion, do
sound better on the harpsichord than on the piano. So far I've always looked for
the
piano renditions if there was a possibility. Maybe it's my prejudice to think
that the piano gives more freedom for the performer and more "tools" to express
emotions.