Re: Too snobby for your fez

-> When concerns sosial snobbery in music, I dont think anything is worse than
-> the "I am not a music snob, I'm a true music lover" sortofthing. That's
-> because even talking about those things are impossible. What do we know? I,
-> personally, find a great pleasure in music, and there are music i despise.
-> What if that _is_ snobbery?

Def. snob. n. 1. One who overtly imitates, obsequiously admires, and offensively
seeks to associate only with those one regards as one's superiors and who tends
to rebuff or ignore altogether those one regards as one's inferiors: "A snob is
someone who judges all things, from shoes and dinner parties to love and beauty,
according to their social rating"
2. One who affects an offensive air of self-satisfied superiority in matters of
taste or intellect.

snobberies are vague. everyone is a snob. musicians are snobs of a different
"potency" than, say, people who claim they are not snobs (they really are, because
the mere fact that they deny it hints snobbery in-and-of-itself). Some people
with lots of money are snobs... but perhaps, by definition, people with a lot of
<fill in the blank> are snobs. In the above case, people with a lot of
<disgust towards type X of music> are snobbering.

for example, some of my friends are loaded with miscellaneous knowledge
(which is certainly not money to make 'em rich) -- and they act correspondingly
with yucky egos and snobbery where the difference in social class lies not
in money but in intelligence. snobbery in music is much the same. the more
you know about music, the more you admire it. at the same time, however,
the more you know about music, the more you have to put yourself in dissonance
with others in society. gould was certainly well educated in music. but to what end
did this make him an oddball? to what end are his actions snobbish?

he didn't like public performance, and there are interviews of him stating this.
what a snob! his self-satisfaction ignores the pacification of his dear audience!

-> I don't care. Man is a stupidous being...

you got that right :-/

-> By the way, I was quite taken by mr. Woodcocks metaphysical intoxication...
-> I dont know if I should ask him, but now its too late I guess...

i'm still here.

-- Pooya