FW: Music hath charms to soothe the savage breast

 -Original messages included-

  > I'm fascinated with literature that suggests that a deep
  > love of the world's greatest music has utterly no
  > predictable effect on the human soul, and is as likely to
  > produce ghastly human beings as lovely and enlightened
  > ones.

 Seems like this is puting the cart before the horse! Whilst music can
 certainly have an extraordinary and profound effect on the human soul, I
 doubt whether it can  "produce" any particular kind of human being, ghastly
 or otherwise. But the character (or soul) of an individual human being
 certainly influences the type of music he _chooses_ , and yes, I do believe
 that classical music is more likely to appeal to a thoughtful and
 deep-feeling soul. Intelligence may come into it, too (sorry if this sounds
 snobby, too) but I am not sure to what degree.

> The most deeply shocking examples, to me, have been
> * "A Clockwork Orange," where the brutal sadist Alex has
> a deep and sincere appreciation and love for Beethoven.

 Well, its a long time since I saw the film, but I do remember thinking
that, > important as this idea was to the story, it was one thing about the
 portrayal of Alex's character that did  NOT  ring true. For the reason
 stated above: music is chosen by the man, and Alex did not seem to
 demonstrate the qualities that would lead you to expect him to be ana
dmirer of Beethoven.

> How can you forget Hannibal?! He'll be so disappointed. :->
>

> Another question might be... Why are lovers of classical
> music so often portrayed in a bad light in movies, plays,
> literature, etc.?

 Are they, in general?

>> Oh but Anthony Hopkins is such a sensual canabal. I think his love of
>> classical music is supposed to add to the horror of his other hobbies, ie.,
>> the soothing savage beast effect.
>

>>> I didn't mention Hannibal Lecter because I'm trying to compare the
>>> highest achievements of music with the highest achievements of
>>> literature ... and I think the Hannibal Lecter books and movies are sort
>>> of mass-midcult mall-movie crappy. I don't think there's anything in
>>> them (exept perhaps recipes) that can really inform thoughtful, educated
>>> people.

 Well, certainly  Dr. Lecter is hardly one of the highest creations in the
 English language. But I dont think even Thomas Harris intends us to think
of his books as Great Literature.
 And leaving aside the ethical consideration that creating a character like
 Hannibal is  morally dubious in a world that has so much real violence and
 horror, the book is in its ghastly way, quite entertaining and even blackly
 humorous in parts. It is, after all, a fantasy; despite its pseudo-realism
 the story is about as likely  as a late Victorian Gothic novel ("Silence of
 the Lambs" and " Red Dragon"  were more realistic, and I am sure Harris is
 an expert on the subject of serial killers, but the plot of "Hannibal"
 really is a bit over-the-top.
 Yes, I admit to having read all three books, but I refuse to comment on why
 a reasonably intelligent (I hope) and ethical person should choose to
 indulge in such fiction. Perhaps I just am not as "informed, thoughtful or
 educated" as others. (See above!)

> I think people who love great music are more likely to have
> the patience to deal with life. Listening to great music
> (particularly great classical music) requires intelligence,
> some patience, etc.

 Oh, and remember that in the book, Hannibal is portrayed not only as
highly intelligent and a lover of music, he is a performer as well. He plays
the Goldbergs on his harpsichord. Oh my, .... so cultured, so
educated....and still manages to  find time kill and cook his own food!
 Evidently a love of Glenn Gould's music is intended to demonstrate that the
 guy has a very superior IQ. Heaven knows what Gould would have said. But
 then, I really cant imagine Gould reading the books at all....

 Does one need intelligence to appreciate classical music? I dont mean great
 genius necessarily, but reasonably high intelligence . I would think that
 this point would not have been raised in this thread unless  above-average
 intelligence was meant. My opinion is yes, it is necessary,  if only
because there are so many  different aspects to the subject  that can add to
our appreciation , and a certain amount of patience,experience and
willingness both to  wonder and learn can infinitely increase our enjoyment
far beyond the casual. You dont have to be an "expert" ( I am not) but a
certain amount of patience and experience certainly enhances and expands the
delights of listening.
And discussion is great, too; vive F-Minor!