Re: Pop / Classical

Sean,

Thanks Very Much (!) for your very informative and thought-provoking
"take" on
music education!

It sort of seems to say: "We're not really Pedantic and Dogmatic. We
know it certainly seems that way to you, and we're sorry for that."

You're a professor, this is your life, you've given it a great deal of
thought.
I was just one student with one mandatory experience of music education,
and it
was a bruiser.

Elmer

Sean Malone wrote:

> I certainly agree that one can find pleasure in many disparate sources of
> music. As a theorist myself, the music I've studied and teach in an academic
> setting comes primarily from the western tradition. Bach is as vital to me
> as air and water, but I have equal interests in jazz and progressive rock,
> having built a recording career with musicians such as Bill Bruford (Yes,
> King Crimson) Reeves Gabrels (David Bowie) Trey Gunn (King Crimson) Steve
> Morse and others. Gratuitous plugs aside, it's important to understand why
> some might receive "the hairy eyeball" from their college music teachers.

<snip>