Re: Gould and Photography

Dear F-Minor,

Mario Betteo Barberis was wondering about information on photographer
Don Hunstein and his relationship w/ GG.

First of all, you may be spelling his name incorrectly- that would make it
hard to research. Secondly, there is no one exhibit of Hunstein's GG work.
However, rest assured that almost any photo of GG was taken by Hunstein.

There was one exhibit devoted to Hunstein's GG work (Gould was not
Hunstein's only famous subject!) in Stratford, Ontario during the 1999
Glenn Gould Gathering. And in Rhona Bergman's book "The Idea of Gould"
there is a reprint of a wonderful essay penned by Hunstein about their working
relationship.

Speaking of their relationship, if anyone has ever seen the GG: Two Portraits
film, it seems kind of icy when Hunstein suggests that Glenn place his gloves on
top of the piano for a photo. Even back in 1959 when this film was made, his
reply says it all: "No. I have had quite enough of those pictures."

For a great collection of GG pictures (although not all by Hunstein), I would
recommend the book "Glenn Gould, Variations", edited by John McGreevy.
This was the first posthumous GG book release, and I feel it is still one of the
best, with some wonderful essays by GG's friends and a selected few of GG's
writings.

Hope this helps!
Dominic Lesnar