Re: Who can turn the world on with a smile? me?

Très gentil, Alice,

now that you obviously try to revive the "socks it to me thread" ("I have no
blues, Dan, I'm wearing two different colored socks at work today!") I went
down to the basement to look up the fitting Andy Warhol passage for correct
quoting.

>From Andy Warhol, The Philosophy of Andy Warhol (From A to B and back
again), chapter 15: Underwear Power (What I do on saturday when my
philosophy runs out), 1977, First Harvest, pp. 229-241:

B said he might consider buying a couple of pairs of socks, because "socks
just dissappear". He doesn't wash his own, of course, he sends them to a
very fancy East Side French dry cleaner's and they still come back with one
missing. It really is a law - the diminishing return of socks.
The reason I hate regular underwear - and socks, too - is that if you send
twenty pairs of shorts and twenty pairs of socks to the laundromat, you
always only get nineteen back. The more I think about it, the more I can't
believe the diminishing returns of underwear. It's unbelievable. I WASH MY
OWN AND I STILL GET NINETEEN BACK!
I wash my own, and I put them in myself, and I take them out myself, and I
put them in the dryer myself, and then I go through the dryer feeling around
all the holes and ridges looking for the missing sock, and I never find it!
I go up and down the stairs looking for it, thinking it fell, but I never
find it! It's like law of physics...

... Just then B came back from buying a bunch of socks for himself in
various dark, respectable colors - navy, brown, forest green, charcoal,
black.
"Why do you buy different colors, B?"
"So they're easy to separate when they're washed."
"But if you get all the same color you can put any one with any other one."

Now we can start a poll asking for the better strategy.

Stegemann's book has a good detail photograph, No. 34 (in the german
edition). What fabric do you think Gould's socks were made of? Is it cotton,
wool (less likly -> chances of allergy), dralon (olfactoric category!) ?
Another poll for the likliness of the fabric.

Jost

Jost