Fw: Richter, Gould-moving with the flow.....

I admit having difficulty with this topic since it seems so obvious for me
that I don't think I have to say a word.

I see GG as a musical medium. The aspect of his performing to me seems
another medium in which the music expresses itself. F.i. his conducting - it
helps me getting more transparancy out of the music. What is it else as some
way of dancing? Dancing is in much the same way of - not only rhythmical,
but also dynamical, suspense related and so on - musical expression. Even
his humming makes the music breathing for me. It seems to belong to the
music, it underlines aspects that are there, but usually are not profiled.
His accompagnato for me is simply a sign of his ecstatic plunge into the
music, a music that emancipates from his performer.

I think it is not so difficult to distinguish between fake and real
emotional accompagnato of the music.

And then it simply depends on the individuum. May I take a jazz example? Pat
Metheny very much accompanies his performing with facial movements as he
sort of "sings" his lines and compensates his inner tension while playing
(another expression for what GG presumably does). Lyle Mays, who plays
incredible suspense driven improvisations that are in the same time so
complex that the term "real time composition" is appropriate , doesn't move
a single little bit at the piano. He says "I'm all busy to come up with the
good notes, to prevent the whole developpement from stall, so I don't have
the luxury of emotional feeling and expression".

Personally, when I'm all alone listening I wildly conduct the music, but
when I used to perform I didn't move a lot for I felt it lessened my
concentration.

As for GG I just think it is what makes GG GG.

Jost