Preludes: was Small Query re a quote (buddhism)

>GG always belittled the preludes in speech as compared to the fugues
> but when he played them it was as if he had infinite respect for them
>
> Dyfan

Hi Dyfan (and list)

I think you're right in that Gould played those preludes better than you'd
expect from the way he talked about them.  If we'd only read and heard what
he'd said about them and never listened to a performance, I imagine we'd
think he'd give us 48 interpretations like his chromatic fantasy (which I
must admit I find kind of fun in an iconoclastic way and yet still isn't
great music).  But, if you make a tape or cd of only the preludes, leaving
out the fugues (I know, a bit blasphemous, but hang with me), I think you'll
create an album that's just as wonderful and enjoyable (and I do think it's
wonderful) as the Inventions and Sinfonias disc (though without the
hiccups.)

The preludes are a bit more hit or miss than the Inventions and Sinfonias,
but I still but the recordings on an equal level.

Jim