Debussy

Hello F minor,

I just came across the following quote from Debussy in a bio on him
written by Oscar Thompson.

The quote made me think of Gould's somewhat idealistic stance
on Bach's keyboard music, and so, I'm passing it on (as well as a
recommendation
to track down either Gieseking's or Jacob's recordings of the Preludes,
there may be other great recordings of them out there, but these
are the ones that move me the most.)

"In Bach's music it is not the character of the melody that stirs us, but
rather the
tracing of a particular line, often, indeed, of several lines, whose
meeting, whether by chance
or design, makes the appeal.  Through this conception of ornament the music
acquires an almost mechanical precision of appeal to which the audience
reacts.  Let no one think that there is anything unnatural or artificial
in this.  It is infinitely more 'true' than the wretched whimperings and the
tentative
wailings of lyric drama.  Above all, the music keeps its dignity..."

Bye

Jim