Re: Rifkin ? Gould

Hi Fminor,

Here I am again, talking about Rifkin and Gould to myself.

(I know that at least one of you (hello Boston, enjoying the leaves?) is
interested in the topic
and I hope a few more are as well.)

I dropped an email on the Bach cantata list expressing what I thought to be
the similarities between not only Rifkin and Gould's personal histories, but
also their methods when performing Bach.

Know what I got in response?

Zippo.

Not "Oh yeah, I'd never thought of that"

Or "Oh that's old news, look here for more info."

or "That's nuts and don't you dare mention that Gould person on this list
again."

I've learned that many Bach fans get fired up at the mention of Gould's name
and the lack of even a flaming reply I find curious.

Can it be that Gould people are not cantata people and there can
be very little discussion between the two?

I don't know.
But I'm letting the topic drop now.

An aside:

on the Bach recordings list
Gulda got some good press as being akin to Gould, someone who tried to
create maximum variety in narrow confines.  Anybody out there got any
thoughts on that comparison? I bought Gulda's second book of the WTC last
night, but haven't listened to it yet.

Bye

Jim