Re: GG Re: Richter/Rifkin Cantatas

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Pelletier"

> Good Morning Jim!

Hi David, ahh, I mean Glenn

>  by any chance do you work for Tower Records?

Ha, ha.  No I don't.  though I can see why you might mistake me as one.

I have simply found that tower regularly beats amazon by at least one dollar
on single discs, and by as much as five dollars on double discs, and they
also have those used cds which sell at about the price of 2/3 what they do
as new, so I like to pass the word onto other people like me who probably
feel
the pinch and expense of building a classical music collection.   I've found
that
I didn't have a good understanding of classical music until I'd heard the
same
piece recorded by different artists and also listening to others pieces by
composers who were writing at the same time as my favorites.

Amazon, though, has a much more informative website.  They have recently
started including reviews for the Gramophone site in their reviews of
classical
works.  Great decision and I project I'd like to work on.

So what I do is browse around amazon and then go buy my goodies at Tower.

There must be people out there who try to drum up sells for companies.
The only place I can recall seeing them though are on the use-net mailing
lists.

> They're like sleazy penny stock promoters. Shocking, isn't it?

Shocking like Claude Raines (SP) found the workings of Casablanca shocking.

> I know you're not one, but maybe you can get a job at Tower on Sunset as a
> CD reshelver and find out if they are open to the idea of a planting a
> passive seller on F-Minor. If they show enthusiasm, we can nail them using
> their own
> tactics! If I could, I might even try it. Though the overcoat and gloves
> might be a giveaway in L.A.

You know what, this is sort of a job for me.  I DO like doing investigative
work. I'm sure
most of you on the list can tell.

> Just trying to be productive, constructive and concerned. What's your
phone
> number? Stay up late?

Oh that's funny.  Maybe you should fly out to see me.  We can go by the
Wilshire theater and you can show me around.  I still haven't visited that
place.  Tomorrow would be a great day, but guess what, my library doesn't
close of Columbus Day, which doesn't really disappoint me.  It's a dubious
holiday in my opinion.

> Have a happy weekend!

I have been, discovering links between Glenn and Rifkin.  I don't remember
his name being mentioned a few months ago when we were talking about
Gouldian conductors.  Looks like we missed someone camped out in Bach's
front yard.

Bye

Jim