Re: Gigues

Jim,

I'm not 100% shure, but I think you're wrong. Gould wasn't talking about
the gigue of partita 4, (something like 'the gigue that surpasses all
gigues') but about the gigue of the 'seventh partita' in b minor. That's a
wonderful gigue indeed, played in a remarkable slow tempo by Gould.

Hans

Op 6-10-2000 om 07:56, heb je geschreven:
I think I remember in the Gould video The Question of Instrument his calling
the gigue that ends the Fourth Partita the gigue to end all gigues, the king
of giguedum, or something like that.  (Anyone with the exact quote please
write in.)  Well, while browsing through that great encyclopedic work the
Oxford Companion to Bach I came across the following nugget in the entry on
gigues.

"The [gigue] in Partita no. 4 is unique in Baroque dance music in that it
uses triple groupings on two of the metrical levels below the beat, with a
key signature of 9/16."

I think the uniqueness is generated by the fact that other gigues have
triple groupings on only one of the metrical levels below the beat.

But I'm know musician and have no good idea as to what I just wrote means.

So, anyone out there with a musical training, can you help us understand
Gould's favorite gigue?

Jim