Re: Enter polar bears

Jacqueline wrote:
>When I first heard "The idea of North" the sound of the train made
> such an effect on me, I was overwhelmed with emotions, I don't know why as
> people say on the couch !!
> The first images of "Le Nouvel Auditeur" is the snowy landscape of North
and
> in the distance a train is moving. Now I can see the polar bears.
>                         Jacqueline

We should all give Mary Jo a round of applause for putting the transcript of
the Idea of North on her Web Site.

The North is one of  the last frontiers in Canada.  I'm not saying that it
is uncivilized, but it has not been as defiled by the hand of man as the
rest of North America.
Many people such as Glenn Gould have given us such a romantic and beautiful
vision of the North that it might surprise many non North Americas to hear
that a lot of Canadians are a bit afraid of the North.
It is still common for young people who graduate from university and can't
find jobs to take jobs 'up north' only for the experience.  They hope that
this will look good on their resumes.  The funny thing is -- once they
leave, we don't ever see many of them again.  Sure, some come back
complaining about lack of sophisticated cultural things,  stories about
block heaters for cars,  and the cold, but those people are in the minority.
Once people get involved with northern culture they get hooked.

I recommend to Jacqueline and anyone else who has not already done this,
that you take the plunge and enter Elmer Elevator's Web Site.  Here you can
experience a rollicking train trip to the North.  Yes, there are Polar bear.
Much more, even a reference to Glenn Gould.
Maybe the next Gould Gathering should be in the North.
Anne