Great non-Gould Bach

Hello F minor,

In the last few months, thanks to the people on the list, Joseph from the
Musical Offering, and my soulmate, my appreciation for music in general and
Bach in particular has greatly expanded and been refined in the last few
months.  I thought I'd share with you some of the best recordings that I've
come across, which may also help others out there in their search for great
Bach playing by people other than Gould.  The more I listen to Bach, the
more amazed I am that one man could have written all this incredible work.
Of course, some of the credit goes to the performers as well.

Some recordings that I think are at least near the best available (based
upon what I consider significant listening to other recordings of the same
work) are indicated by an *.   Unstarred works are those which I think are
amazing, but I haven't had enough exposure to other recordings of the same
work to feel confident about saying they are much better than others.

Now onto the list, which I expect to make additions to in the next few weeks
and months.

Jurgens: Cantatas 198, 158, 27

Gardiner: B Minor Mass and Saint Matthew Passion

*Musical Offering: Hanssler Edition

*Musical Offering: Music from Aston Magna

*Robert Hill: Art of Fugue: Hanssler Edition (harpsichord)

*Keller Quartet: Art of Fugue (string quartet)

*Charles Rosen: Art of Fugue (piano)

*Edward Parmentier: English Suites, Toccatas, Partitas (harpsichord)

*Angela Hewitt: Inventions and Sinfonias, Partitas, WTC II, Goldberg (piano)

*Roysalyn Tureck: Partitas (piano)

*Gustav Leonhardt: Inventions and Sinfonias (harpsihord)

*Dinu Lipatti: Partita One (along with Mozart K 310) (piano)

Dmitry Sitkovetsky and Robert Hill: Violin Sonatas BWV 1014-1019

*Martha Argerich: Toccata in c minor, Partita 2, English Suite 2 (piano)

*Murray Perahia: English Suites (piano)

*Hantai: Goldberg Variations (harpsichord)

Piotr Anderszewski: French Suite 5, Overture in the French Style (piano)

Davitt Moroney: French Suites (harpsichord)

Wolfgang Rubsum: French Suites (piano)

Jeno Jando: WTC II (piano)

Sergey Schepkin: WTC I (piano)

*Pablo Casals: Violin and Oboe Concerto BWV 1060

Anner Bylsma: Cello Suites

Csaba Onczay: Cello Suites

Jonathen Rees: Brandenburg Concertos

Andrew Manze: Violin Concertos:

David Oistrach: Violin Concertos

*Oscar Shumsky: Violin Concertos (along with Concerto for Oboe and Violin
1060)

Other non-Bach though musically related albums are:

Leonhardt's Scarlatti on harpsichord

Parmentier's other harpsichord recordings, particularly the English Virginal
album