Re: oxymoron

Elmer Elevator wrote:

>But I offer a puzzle instead: What do Greek people say instead of: "It's all
>Greek to me." ?

Having just returned from a trip to Greece I can tell you that on one of
our excursions (to Delphi, in fact) our charming Greek guide was most
voluble and actually raised this point. This is where you all groan,
because I wasn't paying a lot of attention but I _think_ she said that
Greeks say "It's all Latin to me".

The Romans invaded Greece several centuries BC and ran it for centuries;
they also used the Roman alphabet (a Greek word) and not the Greek
alphabet. Hence the reference to Latin being un-understandable.

But she may have said "Egyptian", although I don't think so. I promise to
pay better attention in future. Alternatively, if anyone wishes to
sponsor my return to Greece to check out this rivetting fact I shall be
most happy to accept your donation.  :-)

Tim Conway
Broome, WA, Oz