GG: Kunst of the Fugue

        Recently, there were a few emails asking where Tovey's Companion to
AoF (aka KdF) could be found. Well, I have a set of softcover paperbacks
containing his "Essays in Musical Analysis,"  published by Oxford University
Press (London), and in the volume called "Supplementary Volume: Chamber
Music," there is a 15-page essay called "A Listener's Guide to Die Kunst der
Fuge (1936)"; according to the "Editor's Note," it was originally a
companion pamphlet to Tovey's recording issued on Columbia Graphophone
Company, Ltd. In fact, the editor (Hubert J. Foss) quite charmingly mentions
that he "thought it wise to pay a visit to the recording studio on the
morning when Tovey was playing on the piano his own completion of the final
fugue, and was instantly conscribed by Tovey to play the returning main
subject in the bass."  Oh, to be transported back in time to be a fly on the
wall during that recording session!

        The volume of Essays was first published 1944, and my copy is from
the seventh impression (1972). It was given to me as a gift many years ago
by my parents, who in turn had received it as a gift from someone else
between '75-'80; I am unable to trace its origins any further.

Regards --

P.S. I suggest we end the oxymoron thread and switch to synecdoche.

Daniel Baldwin
BAER MARKS & UPHAM LLP
805 Third Avenue
New York, NY 10022
Tel: (212) 702-5700
Fax: (212) 702-5941
Notice: This message, and any attached file, is intended only for the use of
under applicable law.  If the reader of this message is not the intended
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited.  Nothing in this
e-mail message should be construed as a legal opinion.  If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by reply e-mail
and delete all copies of the original message.  Thank you.