Re: GG : Greyness, synaesthesia, and non-verbal communication

Hi Fminor,

I just thought I'd thank Kate for sending us such a personal email.

I like to think of Fminor as more than a bulletin board for messages about
Gould, and more like a meeting place for people who share an interest
in Gould/music/art, a place where posts like Kate's are welcome and
encouraged.

I wonder if there are people on the list who prefer non-verbal communication
and therefore don't post much.  I'm a verbal animal myself (a verbivore?)
and am prone, as I'm sure most of you know, to make many posts.
It's an outlet for a writer who doesn't write much anymore and whose
job requires just about zippo when it comes to writing abilities.

Hey, how about starting another controversial thread?

 I was just reading an
essay by Harold Brodkey in which, as an aside comment, he said that
most great writers have not been blond.  Anybody notice this about
musicians and composers and artists in general?  Anybody know the percentage
of people on the planet that are not blond?  Maybe the figure is high, as in
blondes
are rare, and therefore we should not be surprised when they aren't a big
percentage
of people in any particular profession or echelon of a profession?

I'm not blond.  Do I have a greater chance of being a significant artist?
Should blondes give up writing/artistic professions a stick to movies and
make-up commercials?  :)

Goodnight,

Jim

PS: I have nothing against blondes and some the people who have mattered
most to me are blond.
I even know a blond who's a good writer.