Re: Re: C'est Amusement! Hé, dieses Spass d'ist!

From: Birgitte Jorgensen <bj@KEMMUNET.NET.MT>

> His self (Lehman du la Bradley) wrote:
>
> > Mais oui.  Bitte siehe auch http://www.tranexp.com:2000/InterTran donde
se
> > puede traducir entre 729 language pairs.  A nice feature of this one is
> > that in the results it gives alternatives to almost every word
translated.

> Self that aspect found confusing to be: too mucho alternatives.

Sorry, I couldn't resist this:
Yoda I am. Talk backwards I must.
(An obligatory Star Wars joke in a Glenn Gould discussion. What is this
world coming to?)

(Actually, the "Self" makes me think of Warlock from "The New Mutants"
comic book. Sniff! Why did they have to kill off Warlock?!)

There was an older thread in F-Minor where someone translated some of GG's
writing into different languages and then back again using a free
translation program -- possibly "le poisson de Babel." The results were...
wacky! :->

Aha! I found it. Of course, the "culprit" was Bradley. :-> Here's the link,
have fun:
http://www.tug.org/mail-archives/f_minor/msg03300.html

As an example, "... what you end up with is mud, glorious mud" ends up
being transformed into "...which above you is mud, splendourful mud."

I think that shows why those translation programs are of limited use. They
do not work well on complicated sentences, particularly when the writer
uses idiom, subtle nuances, and pop culture references. Glenn Gould's
writings do all that, of course, and more.

When all else fails, you can use The Dialectizer
(http://rinkworks.com/dialect/) to translate GG's writing into Swedish Chef
dialect. "Vhet yuoo ind up veet is mood, glureeuoos mood. Bork bork bork!"

Anne M. Marble