Re: Gould from the Chronicle of Higher Ed

Hi F minor,

It may be worth mentioning that Said said somewhat similiar things about
Gould's playing in his contribuation to the book Glenn Gould Variations, by
Himself and Others.

In the conclusion of that article, he makes an intersting comparison to a
pianist I've just discovered and am much impressed with:  Rachmaninoff.
"Only Rachmaninoff, I think, had that special combination of lean
intelligence, magnificent dash, and perfectly economical line that Gould
produced in everything he played.  Technique in the service of an inquiring
understanding, complexity resolved without being domesticated, wit relieved
of philosophical baggage: Glenn Gould plays the piano."

Bye

Jim