Re: Speaking of Gould and Richter

From: john grant <dohgrant@IDIRECT.COM>

> I seem to recall that Gould and Richter were not only aware of each
other,
> but may have had some direct or indirect contact or communication.
>
> Can anyone assist me here?  What was the reationship, if any?   And what,
in
> truth, was Gould's impression of Richter and vice versa?

I'm pretty sure they met when Glenn Gould when to Russia for a concert tour
in 1957.

GG also wrote about Richter -- there's an article in the first issue of
GlennGould magazine. (I have that issue but can't get at it right away.)
The Spring 1998 also has a brief bit about Sviatoslav Richter and Gould.
It's possible some of GG's writings about Richter have been printed in the
new "Art of Glenn Gould" book, but I can't get at my copy of that, either.

> Richter, as we know, was recording and playing quite a bit of Bach almost
> contemporaneously with Gould, although the recordings and concerts, when
> they were made in the 50's and 60's,  would not have been common
knowledge
> in the West.

Maybe GG had bootlegs. :->

P.S. Found a nifty Richter page here. It includes a bibliography:
http://richter.simplenet.com/index.html