richter: off topic

hi fminor,

It's getting into the evening hours here in Los Angeles and I'm listening to
a recently acquired CD of one of Gould's favorite pianists, Sviatoslav
Richter's "In Memoriam"  and it is incredible.  Not being a pianist or
musician, I can't technically explain what I'm hearing from Richter, but
there's something so confident and sure and intelligent and even brave to
his playing that I find much of what he does spellbinding and deeply moving.
Please, if you've ever wondered if the hype is true about Richter, take it
from a fellow Gouldian that it is true.  I think next to Gould, he's my
favorite pianist.

Bruno Mosaingeon  is also an appreciator of Richter, and his documentary on
him is well worth tracking down.  Gould even makes an appearance, albeit in
what seems to me to be an overdubbed performance.

Here's what's on the In Memoriam CD, and at a price of around 17 dollars for
a double disc set of around 140 minutes worth of music, it's quite a
bargain.

Goodnight,

Jim

1. Sonata for Keyboard no 32 in G minor, H 16 no 44
Composed by Franz Joseph Haydn
with Sviatoslav Richter
2. Ballade for Piano no 3 in A flat major, B 136/Opus 47
Composed by Frédéric Chopin
with Sviatoslav Richter

3. Ballade for Piano no 4 in F minor, B 146/Opus 52
Composed by Frédéric Chopin
with Sviatoslav Richter

4. Polonaise-fantaisie for Piano in A flat major, B 159/Opus 61
Composed by Frédéric Chopin
with Sviatoslav Richter

5. Etudes (12) for Piano, Opus 10: no 1 in C major
Composed by Frédéric Chopin
with Sviatoslav Richter

6. Etudes (12) for Piano, Opus 10: no 12 in C minor, B 67 "Revolutionary"
Composed by Frédéric Chopin
with Sviatoslav Richter

7. Allegretto for Piano in C minor, D 915
Composed by Franz Schubert
with Sviatoslav Richter

8. Theme and Variations for Piano on the name ABEGG, Opus 1
Composed by Robert Schumann
with Sviatoslav Richter

9. Estampes (3) for Piano
Composed by Claude Debussy
with Sviatoslav Richter

10. Visions fugitives (20) for Piano, Opus 22: no 3, Allegretto
Composed by Sergei Prokofiev
with Sviatoslav Richter

11. Visions fugitives (20) for Piano, Opus 22: no 6, Con eleganza
Composed by Sergei Prokofiev
with Sviatoslav Richter

12. Visions fugitives (20) for Piano, Opus 22: no 9, Allegretto tranquillo
Composed by Sergei Prokofiev
with Sviatoslav Richter

13. Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1: Prelude and Fugue no 1 in C major, BWV
846
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
with Sviatoslav Richter

14. Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1: Prelude and Fugue no 4 in C minor, BWV
849
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
with Sviatoslav Richter

15. Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1: Prelude and Fugue no 5 in D major, BWV
850
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
with Sviatoslav Richter

16. Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1: Prelude and Fugue no 6 in D minor, BWV
851
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
with Sviatoslav Richter

17. Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1: Prelude and Fugue no 8 in E flat minor,
BWV 853
Composed by Johann Sebastian Bach
with Sviatoslav Richter

18. Ländler (17) for Piano, D 366: no 1 in A major
Composed by Franz Schubert
with Sviatoslav Richter

19. Ländler (17) for Piano, D 366: no 3 in A minor
Composed by Franz Schubert
with Sviatoslav Richter

20. Ländler (17) for Piano, D 366: no 5 in A minor
Composed by Franz Schubert
with Sviatoslav Richter

21. Ländler (17) for Piano, D 366: no 4 in A minor
Composed by Franz Schubert
with Sviatoslav Richter

22. Préludes, Book 1: no 2, Voiles
Composed by Claude Debussy
with Sviatoslav Richter

23. Préludes, Book 1: no 3, Le vent dans la plaine
Composed by Claude Debussy
with Sviatoslav Richter

24. Préludes, Book 1: no 5, Les collines d'Anacapri
Composed by Claude Debussy
with Sviatoslav Richter

25. Preludes (10) for Piano, Opus 23: no 2 in B flat major
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninov
with Sviatoslav Richter

26. Preludes (10) for Piano, Opus 23: no 4 in D major, Andante cantabile
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninov
with Sviatoslav Richter

27. Preludes (10) for Piano, Opus 23: no 5 in G minor
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninov
with Sviatoslav Richter

28. Preludes (10) for Piano, Opus 23: no 7 in C minor
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninov
with Sviatoslav Richter

29. Preludes (13) for Piano, Opus 32: no 1 in C major
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninov
with Sviatoslav Richter

30. Preludes (13) for Piano, Opus 32: no 2 in B flat minor, Allegretto
Composed by Sergei Rachmaninov
with Sviatoslav Richter

31. Preludes (13) for Piano, Opus 32: no 12 in G sharp minor, Allegro