GG in LA Weekly

Hello F minor,

What follows is a breif review of the Gould Variations, excerpted from a
larger article.

The Gould Variations, in case you don't know, is the new double disc set
from Sony (and at 17 to 19 bucks it's their cheapest two disc Gould set.  A
veritable super-bargain price for a Gould CD.)

Has anyone seen the CD-ROM footage?  I bit on the sales-ploy and ordered my
copy today.  I'll post a review when I see it.

Bye

Jim

As an aside, some patron at my library took out the 55 Goldbergs a few
months ago and still hasn't returned it.  The nerve of her, not returning my
very favorite CD.  I even recommended it to her.  No good dead goes
unpunished.  Let's hope she's been listening to it every day and hasn't
simply lost it under the seat of her SUV.

OF NIGHT MUSIC, LA Weekly, September 1 - 7, 2000 .

  Bach, Brubeck and the Bridge
by Alan Rich

Sony has also been kibbling, remastering and reissuing its own particular
Bach treasure, the legacy of Glenn Gould performances recorded over the span
from the 1955 "Goldberg" Variations to the same work 26 years later. The
latest issue, a two-disc "best of" collection consisting mostly of kibbles
and bits, would be unworthy of notice except that the second disc also
contains about half an hour of CD-ROM (Mac or PC) featuring Gould at work on
several sections of The Art of the Fugue not included on the previous
laserdisc release. This is truly fascinating: the fingers, the massive,
troubled countenance and, of course, the groaning accompaniment from deep
inside, drawing out of the uncomplaining piano a full range of wisdom and
fantasy, surging upward from both the music and the musician