                From:   Jim Morrison [mailto:jim_morrison@SPRYNET.COM]
                Sent:   Wednesday, August 30, 2000 9:53 PM
                To:     F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU
                Subject:        Re: Mozart's 24th Piano Concerto

                I have a question that's going to show off how little I know
about the
                history of music.

                Was Mozart's music performed by other musicians under other
directors in his
                own time?  When he didn't bother to write out all the parts
for the left
                hand, say, did he really expect other pianists to complete
the score with
                significant additions when they performed it, or was the
lack of
                completeness merely for his own benefit, a  type of
shorthand for himself,
                as in "why bother to write all this stuff down when I'm the
only person
                who's going to be performing them and I know how the play
the concerto
                already?"

                In more general terms, how prevalent was the practice of
performing other
                composers works during Mozart's time?

                Thanks,

                Jim