tower videos

I ordered my ten videos on August 4th, and all ten are still on backorder.
They know that these Gould videos are on backorder, and, knowing that, they
decide to offer them at a discount, but they can't really offer them, not
even at the regular price, because they DON'T HAVE THEM, and after 45 days,
they'll stop trying to get them, and the end result is no sale was made.
Would somebody who is knowledgeable explain how and why this works? Why put
a discount on something that is on backorder? I would think that if it's on
backorder, it's a good seller, and they wouldn't need any discounts.